Skip to main content

My Ancestry DNA Results

They are in!  I was so excited when I received the email from Ancestry.ca that my DNA results were available to view.

As I mentioned in my first blog (you can check that out here), I had a very good idea of where my ancestors immigrated from on my Dad's side of the family but did not know very much about where my ancestors came from on my Mother's side.

I clicked on the email with excitement!

My genetic ethnicity results indicated 93% Europe and 7% West Asia




Europe West (This corroborates my Dad's research)

Italy/Greece

Europe East

Great Britain (This one indicated that it was a low confidence region)

Caucasus and Middle East (Both of these were also indicated as a low confidence region)

First off - what is a low confidence region? Taken directly from Ancestry.ca - To calculate your ethnicity, we run 40 separate tests on randomly selected portions of your DNA. The bottom number in a range is the smallest amount of an ethnicity that appeared during the 40 analyses, and the top number in a range is the largest amount of an ethnicity that appeared.

When an ethnicity has a range that includes zero (meaning that in at least one of the 40 tests, that ethnicity didn’t appear) and doesn’t exceed 15%, or when the predicted percentage is less than 4.5%, the ethnicity is included in an estimate as a low confidence region.

The larger the amount of an ethnicity that appears in a test, the more confidence we’re able to attribute to our estimate of that ethnicity. Because low confidence regions are regions for which smaller amounts of evidence appears, our confidence in the percentage of DNA that comes from a low confidence region is necessarily low. 

For each of the above percentages, you can click on details to learn more about the region and the people/history.  I found this part of the results very interesting.

The next part of the results are your DNA matches (for privacy, I will not be showing any of the personal information on these)

Clicking on the 3 Shared Ancestor Hints, I found that the first person listed was my first cousin who I was already in contact with.  The second and third were 3rd and 4th cousins.

I took a look at the matches for my 3rd and 4th cousins, but didn't see anyone I didn't already have in my tree on my mother's side - which is what I was hoping for.

Would I recommend Ancestry.ca (or .com for those of you in the US)?
Yes, although I wish that the percentages they gave were broken down further.  As an example, the 20% Italy/Greece result would have been better if it indicated how much Italian and how much Greek.  As for the matches, It too would have been much better if they were allocated to the father's side and mother's side rather than having to go through each match to find the shared matches.

While I now have a good idea of where my Grandmother's and Grandfather's family immigrated from, I was a bit disappointed that I was not able to find any further information on that side of the family.

I would definitely recommend it for anyone who knows little about their heritage and is looking to find out their genetic ancestry, but for someone like me who had all the information from my Dad's side of the family, but not my Mom's, I am not sure the price is worth it.

My rating: 4 out 5




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Impression - Ancestry DNA vs MyHeritage DNA Kits

As an only child, I've always been curious about my genetic genealogy and ethnicity, especially on my mother's side of the family.  I am very lucky as my father had meticulously researched the genealogy for his side of the family (before the internet no less) and because of his efforts, I can trace our roots back to Alsace, Germany. Unfortunately family on my mother's side never really discussed their ethnicity or genealogy and I just assumed that they were either Ukrainian or Romanian.  Sadly there are no longer any living relatives on my mother's side that I can ask, so I decided to do the next best thing and do one of those fancy DNA tests they advertise.  But which one? As with any industry that has become popular, especially quickly, there are the front runner companies you always hear about - Ancestry, 23andMe and another I recently came across MyHeritage. Pricewise, MyHeritage is the cheapest at $99, Ancestry is next at $129 and then 23andMe at $249 (prices q

Subscription Box Unboxing - Sudsy Bar Soap

In my search for wonderful products to help me look and feel my best, I came across another Canadian company - Sudsy Bar Soap Co. based out of Mission, BC. What is it: A monthly subscription box, carefully curated with four artisan soaps from Canada's finest soap makers to bring you a lovingly curated selection of handcrafted soaps What is included: Four fabulous soap bars shipped to your door - you can choose to receive your box every one, two, or three months. How much is it: $24/month + shipping ( shipping ranges anywhere from $3.95 - $9.95 depending on where you are in Canada) This subscription box is available to those in the US with shipping being $9.95. You also have the option of purchasing single bars or boxes specific to a certain brand (including those from previous months if still available). You can even purchase or a gift certificate for a one or three-month subscription Dana (the Chief Sudsy Officer) was kind enough to send me one of their boxes fo

A Further Update on Ancestry DNA vs MyHeritage DNA Kits

I posted an update on my Ancestry DNA vs MyHeritage DNA kits on May 28th, however, feel I need to post another update as an issue has come up with the MyHeritage kit. My test was sent back to MyHeritage on May 8th, and since I had not heard from them that they received my test, I sent a message to MyHeritage on May 23rd to get an update as to the status of my test.  This was the test that was sent from Canada to Texas so it should have been received within a week (give or take a day) - the test sent from Canada to Ireland arrived within a week. Sadly I never received any reply, however, noticed when I logged into the MyHeritage website on May 26th, my test had been marked as received on May 25th.  I found this very interesting. Fast forward to a few days ago to when I received an email from Paypal indicating that a refund had been completed by MyHeritage on June 5th.  What the heck??? Sure enough, I logged into the MyHeritage website and all signs of my DNA test were gone. I w